Seasons of Gratitude (SOG) is a direct response to the College’s involvement in President Barack Obama’s Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge. Brockport’s year-long involvement in this national initiative focuses on domestic poverty and education. Our participation will allow us to create opportunities to engage a broad cross-section of faculty, staff, students and community partners in building relationships as we coordinate food collection and distribution as determined by need.
Whether you are a student or faculty/staff member, Seasons of Gratitude has a variety of opportunities to get involved in. Individuals, departments, clubs, organizations, and residence halls are invited to participate. In order to sign up for any of the opportunities, please access the appropriate Form within the Eagle Service Days myBrockport page (Under Forms).
Five ways to participate: (Collection deadline is December 4th, with pick-up on December 7th – 14th)
- Build a Holiday Food Basket by filling an aluminum turkey pan with the key ingredients for a holiday dinner such as canned vegetables, stuffing, etc. Please include a local grocery gift card to purchase the perishable items such bread, eggs, milk, and the turkey.
- Build a Household Laundry Basket by filling a laundry basket with household supplies such as kitchen/bath cleaning supplies, paper products, etc.
- Build a Personal Care Bag by filling a reusable shopping bag with personal care items such as shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothpaste, etc.
- Manage a Collection Box Location in your building/area to encourage donations of food, personal care items, and household cleaning supplies.
- Recommend a Student in Need by filling out recommendation form online for approval, we do accept self nominations. All nominations will be determined by need.
Two ways to volunteer your time:
- “Hearts of Gratitude” Tabling - Volunteers are needed to help sell “Hearts of Gratitude” at our fundraising table in the Union. Thirty minute shifts are available Monday through Friday, 11am through 1:30pm, November 26 through December 7. The funds collected will be used to purchase additional items necessary for the Holiday Food Baskets.
- Collection/Sorting Day - Volunteers are needed to help collect and sort through all of the items collected by the campus on Thursday, December 6, 2012.
- Join our Resource List: In addition, the Office of Community Development will be publishing an online resource guide for additional ways to give back this holiday season. This can include toy drives, donation locations, coat drives, service opportunities, etc. Our goal is to serve as a resource to people that want to help this holiday season. If your organization or department has an event and would like to be included in the list of opportunities, please complete the form to join our list.
Learn more about Seasons of Gratitude:
- Visit Website: Seasons of Gratitude 2012
- Visit myBROCKPORT: Eagle Service Days
- Visit Facebook: Seasons of Gratitude - The College at Brockport
- Email us at Serve@brockport.edu
- Call us at 585-395-5245